Get Involved With Us
We believe that the people involved with Hampden Park Co-op constitute a community and that every person who shops at our co-op is a member of our community. The community and the co-op are held together by our common interests in food.
People become involved in our community because they share basic values about food and about community. These values and the relationships that evolve between and among individuals are the lifeblood of our community and are the characteristics that make us unique. We strive to clarify our shared values, to act in ways consistent with those values, and to nurture the relationships we have with each other.
It is our responsibility as a co-op to provide all members with a sense of acceptance in the community that is not conditional on their degree of involvement. All community members are valued, no matter what level of involvement they choose, whether they choose to shop occasionally, to volunteer in the co-op, or to help govern by volunteering on the board. Becoming a formal member is a matter of personal choice and is simply a public acknowledgment of one's commitment to the Hampden Park Co-op community.
We acknowledge that members value different qualities in the products they buy. It is our goal to assure that there are enough product options to satisfy the needs of most members and that the choices provided are consistent with their own personal values. The products selected by Hampden Park Co-op should provide a balance of these values as expressed by the members who shop there. The shelves of Hampden Park Co-op should hold a balance of products that are organic, unprocessed, fresh, locally grown, healthful, and minimally packaged.
We at Hampden Park Co-op believe that our collective efforts can make theworld a better place through the relationships we develop, the products we buy, and the joint action we take in our communities. We believe we can have an influence on the world by:
- articulating the values that we jointly hold and assuring that our business practices, governance, and relationships are guided by these values,
- modeling the relationships that we build with each other and the different way that we choose to run our business,
- applying economic influence by carefully selecting the products we sell and the relationships we develop with suppliers,
- educating and informing community members about their consumer choices,
- developing networks with organizations that hold similar values, and
- taking advantage of emerging opportunities for action when members of the Hampden Park Co-op community believe it is important.